Subject: Re: Archos sending out refurbished units as new?
From: Chris Holt (amiga2k_at_cox.net)
Date: 2003-04-01

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 10:22:03 +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:
>Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net> writes:
>
>>So the seller is liable for warranty on equipment?
>
>[Note this may be subject to local laws.]
>
>Not quite. The vendor is liable for selling a decent piece of good
>working equipment. If the equipment fails within its expected life
>time (that may be much more than just one year!), the vendor must
>replace or repair it (depending on age, and not necessarily free of
>charge). If the vendor is not capable to repair it, he'd better have a
>good relationship with the supplier.
>
>>That would seem to discourage small business in a big way.
>
>How? Do you think you can maintain a decent business by selling rubbish?
>
>-- Johan

Not my intent at all. Even quality, brand name products fail, suffer
from a bad batch of components, are damaged during shipping in ways that
are not immediately apparent, etc and so on...
And of course, I dare not carry new products, for fear that they have a
high OOW failure rate and will bankrupt me.

Holger wrote:
>Only if you try to sell products that are rubish. :-)

>No, its not that big deal, because on the other hand, the seller is a
>buyer, too. He buys his products from a wholesale dealer and has the
>same
>warranty (not by law, but by contract).

Okay, fine. If it works, it works. I was just curious how this shift in
liability worked out. I had some impression that it might hamper trade
in some way. I have no doubts that it limits grey market products (which
may be a good thing depending on your point of view)

Chris