Subject: Re: What's left for 2.0?
From: Mike Holden (rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net)
Date: 2003-04-03

Daniel Stenberg said:
> We're down to only one single flaw that is still considered a
> show-stopper for the upcoming 2.0 release, and that is the ATA/disk
> problems sometimes referred to as the 'red led death' (and similar).
>
> Some minor adjustments have been made lately that according to some
> people have improved the situation.
>
> We need more feedback, more reports, more analyses. Bring your opinions
> and your ideas.
>
> The problem that sometimes appears in combination with rewinding or fast
> forwarding, is not the same problem and will not be addressed before the
> 2.0 release since it will require a somewhat larger fix.

Red freeze is definitely reduced for me. The only problems I had today was
when FF/REW, which is probably related to the other problem. I have seen
no red freeze and no silent play for a couple of days now.

Only difference for me is that since the weather has warmed up here in
northern England, I am now carrying my archos on my belt loop rather than
in my jacket pocket, so I don't know if that has made much difference. It
certainly seemed a little better in that location even a couple of weeks
ago. The archos original firmware rarely had a problem with
skipping/locking in any position though.

No doubt the weather will fade again and I will get my jacket out again
soon to do some more testing ;-)

I posted a patch to fix battery charging display for FM a bit ago, but
this has not been applied yet. Is there going to be a purge on catching up
with these little bits at some point? Not a major fix in this case, but
would be nice to add in. I can re-post the patch if need be.

--
Mike Holden