Subject: Red LED Of Death (Was: RE: What's left for 2.0?)
From: Michael O'Quinn (michael_at_oquinn.info)
Date: 2003-04-04

This sounds more and more like it can be reproduced at will if the
temp is low enough.

Does anyone on this list have an Archos with the necessary HW mods to run
gdb on the unit? And would it make sense to stick such a unit in the
refrigerator (out outside if you live in an appropriate area) and then
"encourage" it to lock up while the debugger is running?

I don't have my Jukebox wired for gdb, or I'd volunteer to do it myself if
the results were likely to be useful.

Michael

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Eldridge, Fredric G. wrote:

> For me I still assert that the red led lockups are related to
> temperature. This morning it was quite cold, below 20 Fahrenheit. I
> left my warm house and started the Archos running. About two blocks
> later, well before the car was warmed up, I stopped for gas. Shortly
> after leaving the gas station the Archos entered the red led dead state
> and would not even reboot (the progress bar of Archos OS version 1.30j
> hung at about 1/3 of the way) until I warmed it up inside my jacket. It
> then ran flawlessly, inside my jacket next to my chest, for the next 1.5
> hours of my drive. I understand that battery output is substantially
> lower in cold temperatures and for that reason I'm not sure that Rockbox
> can solve this problem. It may be just an inherent problem of the
> hardware

[snipped]