Subject: Re: Praise + What does Archos think of this?

Re: Praise + What does Archos think of this?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 14:13:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Eric Woudenberg, Minidisc.org Editor wrote:

> Here is a question I could not find addressed in the FAQ: Has Archos been
> in contact with you at all? How do they view your work? (Can they possibly
> mind that someone has written software that makes their devices even more
> useful?). Have they asked about using any of your code or ideas?

Archos has been in touch with us.

I know Björn has spoken to them more than once (on telephone), and they asked
him for permission to include Rockbox on the CD sent out with Players (even
though the GPL license gives them the right even without asking). At that
time they also wanted to produce some kind of press-release together with us
to say that the inclusion of Rockbox on their CD was the result of a fine
cooperation (or something like that, this is with my words and my prejudice
added). That never happened.

Björn asked them for more info in the areas where we have (or had) white
spots on our maps, but they refused to help us out due to they being scared
of the competition finding out. Personally, I don't think any competitor
would care very much how the FM receiver works or how the MAS is used by
Archos etc.

They have not asked about using any code or any ideas, AFAIK.

Björn might be able to fill in some more details.