Subject: Re: Crash

Re: Crash

From: Michael O'Quinn <michael_at_oquinn.info>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 03:00:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Johan Vromans wrote:

> "Michael O'Quinn" <michael_at_oquinn.info> writes:
>
> > But it's apparently enough. If the Archos electronics plus spinning and
> > active HD consume, say, 700 ma, then with a huge copy operation eventually
> > the batteries will run down with the Archos charger, but not with the RS
> > charger.
>
> I have another power supply that can produce up to 2000mA. I'll give it a
> try and see how much current it actually draws.

Just be careful not to go above 12V. Also, if you decide to experiment, I
may have damaged a Player by using a wall-wart rated 10.5V at 200ma.
After leaving this on overnight, the charging behavior became very
erratic. I don't know for sure if the unit was faulty to begin with, or
if I blew it out. Fortunately the store exchanged it for another.

> > When I upgraded my HD to 60 gig, I decided that instead of an upgraded
> > wall-wart I would better spend my money on a 2.5 to 3.5 inch HD adapter.
> > This enabled me to install the HD into a computer for The Big Copy
> > Operation, and I never had to worry about the power issues.
>
> That might be a good idea. How much time does assembly/disabbly take?

Well, the first time I opened it I gutted out the electronics boards
to do the Volume and Base Improvement mods, which was about a 6 hour
ordeal. (Nerve wracking, and lots of breaks...) Now I can remove the HD
in about 5 minutes, and put it all back together in about 10.

It IS pretty fragile, in particular the metal bottom is very thin and has
to be bent somewhat to fit around the bumpers, so it's not something I
plan on doing too many more times.

Maybe when 120 GB drives are available...

Michael