Subject: Re: Random numbers et al

Re: Random numbers et al

From: Greg Haerr <greg_at_censoft.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:15:36 -0600

: Perhaps I could run the playlist shuffle on a list of tracks called 1..100
: and do it, say, ten times with each algorithm. Then I could post the
: results and you could say CLEARLY and DECISIVELY which was produced with
: which algorithm??

That's a pretty good idea. With this group, working, written C code
clearly prevails. If you can write a rand algorithm that is smaller,
faster, better, etc, it will very likely be accepted (provided you
comply with the docs/CONTRIBUTING guidelines, Bjorn won't
bend on them). Otherwise, we're just talking about what "could" happen.

: When I understand the threading system and interrupts
: (etc) THEN I will bugger about with the code that uses them.

When I first became interested in the Rockbox project, I spent
about four hours reading the kernel/*.c files. Really, it's not
very complicated. The threading system is a simple, standard,
round-robin stack-switcher. After reading these few C files, I
ventured a bit further and read all the C files in kernel/drivers.
At this point, I gained a pretty full understanding of the way the
system worked (and found some bugs too).

Post your threading/system questions to the list, I and others will
be happy to answer them.

Regards,

Greg