Subject: Re: [ rockbox-Bugs-716839 ] Delay when ff/rew

Re: [ rockbox-Bugs-716839 ] Delay when ff/rew

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 20:23:28 +0200

Brian Rodgers wrote:
> If I want to get from playlist track 1 to track 4, both
> the archos firmware and rockbox handle this more sluggishly than I'd expect.

Yes. Technically, there are two things that kill track skipping speed:

1) Bit swapping. Due to annoying circumstances, the MAS and the CPU does not have the bits of their bytes in the same order! Thus every single byte we read from disk has to be bitswapped before we feed it to the MAS.

2) ID3 tags. We can't display the song info before we have it. And that info is sometimes stored *last* in the file (id3v1). Thus we need to seek to the end of the file, then read and parse the tag, before we can display it.

I and Linus have discussed various methods of speeding things up, but nothing that makes a huge difference. I think a playlist browser is a priority.

--
Björn