Subject: RE: [ rockbox-Bugs-716839 ] Delay when ff/rew
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-04-08

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Brian Rodgers wrote:

> What if, after loading up a playlist, it read the ID3 tags into memory in
> the background? Is this possible?

Possible, but tricky. id3v2 tags are prepended, id3v1 tags are appended to
the mp3 song. The mpeg thread needs to know where the songs starts and ends,
and to know that for sure we must parse id3 tags...

> If it can be done without much overhead, that would enable a faster update
> of the display.

Only with file name, which most people don't even have show up on their
WPSes...

> OR, how about this -- if you're trying to browse through the playlist
> quickly with ff/rew, it could just display the filename and playlist order
> number (it should already have that loaded, right?)

Playlist order it knows, file name it does not. The playlist system in
Rockbox requires it to seek the playlist for the actual file name (and then
read it) for each time it is about to load a song from the playlist (next,
prev, etc).

Personally, I don't find the "next-time" particularly excessive once the disk
is spinning.