Subject: FAT32/defrag/BSOD question, feature comparison
From: spidermagnet (
Date: 2003-04-08

Gracious rockboxers,

Just a curiosity, due to my lack of knowledge about USB HDs in general,
and disk tools.

I was fooling around, and wanted to see if the Win2k(SP3) defrag tool
would tell me about fragmentation on my FM Recorder. The FS (FAT32) is
supported by the tool, although some vague memory tells me that there is
a shim in the device that gives the OS a filtered view of the unit.

Opening the defrag mmc window was no problem, but as soon as I hit
"Analyze" for this drive, 2K bluescreens with a FAT error. I am fully
aware that this is not an M$ 12-step support group, but if you had any
info, i'd find it interesting.

Feature Comparsion Table

Couple of things could be added:

Accurate per-song bitrate display Yes No

<explanation>I make my mp3s at 208 or 224 abr, and the archos OS always
displays them as being at 128, with a length of (1.75 * actual # of
seconds) and the time goes 1.75 times faster as it plays.</explanation>

FM Tuner (FM Recorder) Yes No
<explanation>So far anyway, right?</explanation>

happy tuesdays,