Subject: Re: Frequency as it relates to recording quality

Re: Frequency as it relates to recording quality

From: ajf <ajf_at_midmaine.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:44:05 -0400

Since the CD standard is 44.1 it simply makes sense to use it whenever you
are considering producing an audio CD.

However, some audiophiles and many older DAT recorders use 48 KHz sampling,
on the theory that you can always downsample if you've recorded too much,
but you can't reinvent those missing samples (and high frequencies) if
you've recorded too little.

I do volunteer work at a reading service for the blind and they sample at 16
KHz (spoken word only). They stream their audio signal from a web site that
must be accessible by slow dialup connections, so small is more important
than pretty. There is a significant quality loss when listening via the
web. When I record for them at home, I sample at 22.05 and let them
downsample for broadcast.