Subject: RE: Frequency as it relates to recording quality
From: Ofir Carny (Ofir_at_vidius.co.il)
Date: 2003-04-10

AFAIR and according to http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_frequency the phone uses 8Khz, if the phone
is good enough for you (and don't consider noise, etc., that's unrelated), it should be good enough for voice. My experience is similar, as long as I am recording voice, I can downsample as far as I can (at least with the original archos FW) and hear no difference, I can also compress a lot (I think I used the lowest level once). AFAIR phones uses 64kbps PCM - and that means 8 bit depth (I ran across 32kbps ADPCM too), and that usualy seems OK to me, voice conferencing and VoIP usually go so low that it's scary and so did early cell phones.

Just don't try to listen to music over the phone...