Subject: RE: Digital out on Rockbox

RE: Digital out on Rockbox

From: Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:11:37 -0400

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:23:47 +0100, Mark Spooner wrote:
>Maybe I am just unlucky, but it seems strange it works fine with archos
>firmware but not rockbox. There is a signal from the rockbox as it can
>be converted and amplified to optical and then it is audioable, so it
>leads me to think that rockbox gives of a weaker signal and as I am
>using a portable DAC + amp running of 12v it probably needs something
>stronger than you would need for a home stereo with digital in.
>

>Mark

Signal strength isn't the only thing that could be causing your problem.
There are lots of aspects of the digital signal that could be different
between OEM and Rockbox firmware. Your coax to optical converter could
be changing/correcting timing or something like that (copy protect bit?).

This is pure speculation, as I don't know if or how the Rockbox digital
out signal differs from Archos, but I didn't want you to get tunnel
vision in your troubleshooting. If you could get use of a simple op-amp
of some sort to boost the signal, you could prove your theory.

Chris