Subject: Feature freeze - silent play (wasRe: #673350 'Improvements for status line')
From: Mike Holden (
Date: 2003-04-11

Björn Stenberg said:
> David Reis wrote:
>> Is there any intent on fixing "all" the recording feature bugs prior
>> to releasing 2.0?
> We have fixed all that I have been deemed relese-critical. If you feel
> there are critical bugs left in the code, yell.

My remaining issue is "Silent Play". Red freeze is much reduced now (touch

One fix that was added recently was some "nop" calls in the ata read code
before checking the status. This certainly helped.

Some early testing I have done in this area suggests that maybe we are
still too soon when checking status. The code comment has 5 * nop, and the
comments says 400ms. Where did this figure come from? Is it the ATA spec?
How long does a nop take, and how critical to the code timing would it be
to add a few extra nops in there? Is nop better than sleep() in this

Mike Holden