Subject: Re: CVS version doesn't boot
From: Magnus Holmgren (
Date: 2003-04-11

Johan Vromans wrote:

> I frequently build rockbox from the CVS sources. However, for the last
> couple of days (weeks, maybe) I've been unable to boot the image built
> from the CVS sources. When using ROLO it gets to "ROLO descramble" and
> then seems to continue the already running firmware. When placed in
> the root of the disk, the Archos firmware takes over (fortunately!).
> I usually build without demos and games, but changing to all defaults
> (2MB recorder, english, demos + games, normal (non-debugging)
> version) doesn't make a difference.
> Anyone else having this problem? Anything I can do to find out what
> happens?
> I'm running GNU/Linux (Red Hat 7.2 + all updates, kernel 2.4.20). The
> cross compiler is built from gcc-3.2-20020903 and binutils-

I've noticed that the ROLO doesn't display errors properly (should have
sent a patch or something about it, I guess :), so it could be that the
.mod you try to load has an incorrect checksum. That could be the
problem, as I've managed to make the compiler generate a binary that was
an odd number of bytes long. The scrambler doesn't like that... :) (That
problem has been reported on this mailing list though).

Magnus Holmgren