Subject: Re: the dot in dot rockbox (was Re: Rockbox manual)

Re: the dot in dot rockbox (was Re: Rockbox manual)

From: Chris Hoekstra <chris_hoekstra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:23:21 -0500

Since I am not exactly sure what encompasses the .rockbox-browsing
patch, I will make a suggestion. This might already be planned.

 From a UI (User Interface for our acronym challenged folks:)
standpoint, the choice of languages and fonts should be in the
settings. If one is just coming into the rockbox world, they will find
it cryptic and cumbersome to enable viewing of all files, browse to the
.rockbox directory, and then "play" the appropriate file based on a 3
character extension. You and I know how to interpret an extension, but
someone who is not as technical will be confused as to what files do what.

Of the few minutes I have thought of this, here is a quick pro's and
con's list of moving the fonts and language into the ettings:

Pros
1.) Much less cryptic for the average user. This is a must if we
eventually want to get it to the point of being included on an Archos CD
or even *gasp* replacing the Archos firmware from the factory.
2.) Less of a learning curve to enable these "advanced" features, when
it is generally considered a "basic" feature to change the language.
3.) Potentially fewer key presses depening on where it is placed in the
menu structure

Cons
1.) It seems to me we would need a dynamic list based on the fonts and
languages installed/loaded on the jukebox. This would mean either
keeping the list in precious memory, or firing up the HD each time the
menu item(s) is(are) accessed.

Any thoughts on this?
Chris Hoekstra