Subject: the dot in dot rockbox (was Re: Rockbox manual)
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-04-14

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Jörg C. Pochmann wrote:

> Perhaps you could explain, why there must be a dot before the .rockbox
> directory? I know, that this should hide the directory under linux but why
> is it necessary or useful for the end-user?

Uh, because it hides the directory for the *nix users. There are end-users
there too you know. We feel it makes sense to kind of "hide" the directory as
it is not just a normal dir, it is a very special dir for Rockbox magic
things.

> It still shows up under (most-users) windows

Yes, but what can we do about that? (except possibly setting that hidden bit)

> and on first startup no user can change language or font because the
> directory is hidden under rockbox.

For normal operations we think this directory should be hidden from the UI.
This is not strictly related to the fact it starts with a dot.

We intend to add the .rockbox-browsing patch soon (after 2.0) that will make
selecting fonts and languages a lot easier even for newcomers.