From: Paul van der Heu (
Date: 2003-04-18

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:05:34 -0700 (PDT), Michael O'Quinn wrote:
>Actually, it's common practice for mailing list subject lines to
>include such a header at the beginning of the subject line.

This practice dates back to the rimes when mail clients did not offer
(any serious) filter options..

Nowadays it is easy enough to have a separate folder for teh rockbox
maillinglist and have the mailclient put all files which pass the
rockbox filter there. This is a MUCH better solution..

I do know that many people do not use the filter options in their
mailclient and many even have no clue they exist, but me for one
would hate to see a refence to the maillist name in each header.

>FWIW, I agree that a unique list identifier *would* be helpful on
the subject line. Perhaps...

Why? There is a unique identifier present, it's the TO: field which
always is .. So just set a filter to look for
this and move anything comeing in that matches the filter to a
separate folder named ROCKBOX (or something like that)..