From: Chris Hoekstra (chris_hoekstra_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 2003-04-18

FWIW, I agree that we don't need to clutter up the subject line, but
here is the problem as I understand it, and a solution I have used in
the past for this same problem.

First, the gentleman, SeeSchloß, can receive his email on his phone via
SMS. However, many providers either charge per message, or truncate at
a certain size. Additionally, the constant stream of messages coming in
to one's phone would be annoying. So he wants to filter the rockbox
messages so they don't get sent to his phone and bother him, yet his
other email would still get sent. However, his cell phone provider only
offers the option to filter based on subject, and since there is no
unique identifier in the subject, he is out of luck.

I wanted this exact same feature for my pagewriter a few years ago, yet
I just wanted to see the subject, so I knew if I should login and read
any email that was important. Plus, many of my emails are automated and
contain information (machines up, people logging in, etc etc) and
include that in the subject line, so the subject was all I needed.

Anyway, I just wrote a simple script that got called from my .forward
file, that would get each email, analyze it to see if I should send it
to my pager (in SeeSchloß's case the To: line does NOT have rockbox in
it), and then pass it along to my pager as well as my normal email. The
rest of the email is then sent along to my normal email account only,
and everything hums along fine and dandy.

The same concept is easily done for a phone that handles text/sms. The
only requirement is a bit of scripting knowledge, basic understanding of
SMTP, and perhaps a linux/unix box if one doesn't want to do this on a
windows box.

Just some ideas,
Chris