Subject: Adding a patch with settings: coder opinions needed
From: TP Diffenbach (rockbox_at_diffenbach.org)
Date: 2003-04-23

I've written a patch that includes user settings. To keep the patch somewhat modular, I've added most of the code for the patch into its own .h and .c files.

Because of user settings, I also need to modify settings.c.

All the standard settings add code to several functions in settings.c, and for standard settings this is fine.

But I'm submitting a patch that others may or may not chose to apply, and may apply with other patches. It occurs to me that the code is more readable and more modular if instead of adding several lines of code to each of seveal functions, I add a single line to each function that calls a function inside the patch's own .c file. Of course, this is slower (given function call overhead), but in practice the settings code isn't called often enough for this to be appreciable.

So, opinions: add the several lines of code needed to each settings.c function, or keep it modular and add a single function call to each?

--
Archos FM needs a Rockbox!