Subject: Re: FAT Filename Mangling bug. (was: RE : Regarding the recent recording PANIC's)

Re: FAT Filename Mangling bug. (was: RE : Regarding the recent recording PANIC's)

From: Jean Boullier <jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 01:48:27 +0200

Michael O'Quinn wrote:

>I really *will* look at this more, particularly at the directory entires
>themselves. And I'll post the text of ScanDisk's complaint. I honestly
>don't know why I'm the first to notice this. Maybe... I just don't know.
>
>Has anyone else seen this behavior?
>
>Michael

I had already noticed that Norton Disk Doctor (NDD) was complaining when
I had to use it (after unrelated Win98 crashes) with my JBR 6GB
connected but I never tool care of digging any deeper : I just told it
"Fix it" and that's all...

I have just run a test for you and I have recorded a file, saved
settings, created a playlist and looked at the results. Full bingo! All
files have incorrect short names, including those which should be simply
identical (except the case). Here are the details :

1. The recorded file. Default long name of "R030425-001850.mp3" in the
root directory. Short name "R030425-.A41" which shows two violations of
the specs : most obvious is the different extension but the name is
wrong too, it should be R03042~1.

NDD says
"The 'Root Directory' folder contains one or more long filenames that
are no longer associated with files.
Norton Disk Doctor will correct these errors by deleting these entries."
and changes the long file to the short one.

2. The playlist file. Default long name of "Films.m3u" from the name of
the directory. Incredible short name of "FILMSM3U.57A" while it should
be simply the uppercased long name since the long name complies with the
8.3 rules.

Same message from NDD which changes the long name to "Filmsm3u.57a".

3. The saved settings file. Default long name of "Config00.cfg". Short
name "CONFIG00.416" while again it should simply be the uppercased long
name.

This time NDD says
"The '\.rockbox' folder contains one or more long filenames that are no
longer associated with files.
Norton Disk Doctor will correct these errors by deleting these entries."
and changes the long name to "Config00.416".

4. The Rockbox "internal" queue file. Default long name of
".queue_file". Short name "QUEUE_FI.C0F" instead of "QUEUE~1" (I think).

Same message from NDD which changes the long name to "Queue_fi.C0f".

As far as I could see "nobody" else than NDD complained about those
files in the PC side, but I have used a few things only : Windows native
file utility (Poste de travail in French, the original English name does
not want to come back to me just as I need it! Workstation, maybe ?),
PowerDesk file utility, Properties and MusicMatch for the recording test
file.

To be complete I will add that NDD starts by complaining about the unit
itself ("Norton Disk Doctor cannot obtain the physical disk
characteristics of hard disk 3 and is unable to test the partition
information. If this is a fixed disk or an external hard drive, ensure
the cables are properly connected. If this is a removable drive please
insert media."), but I would not dare to say that Rockbox had anything
to do with that, since I installed NDD just before discovering Rockbox
and I had never run NDD with the JBR plugged in before. Anyway, except
for this message, NDD does not seem to be annoyed with this situation
and eventually fixes the free space information correctly after a WIN98
crash.

I hope this helps. Good luck. Jean.