Subject: Re: red light freeze
From: Mike Holden (
Date: 2003-04-24

Jack said:
> Is it anyones feelings that replacment batterys will help? Can anyone
> reccomend a brand? Is there such thing as Memoryless recharable
> batterys?

FM uses LiIon batteries, which are supposed to be memoryless. However the
one in the FM is archos-specific (weird shape/size), and only seem to be
available by sending the unit back to archos. It has been reported on here
that they refuse to ship them "for safety reasons" :-(

Short term, I would recommend increasing the disk spindown value (see if
it helps). Ensure anti-skip buffer is set to max (7 seconds). Also, build
your firmware without games/demos so you have more mpeg buffer space, so
the disk is accessed less often. Also, try to carry the unit so it moves
less. I have found that some pockets are worse than others, for example
jacket is better than pants (for me at least, YMMV).

Mike Holden