Subject: Re: FAT Filename Mangling bug. (was: RE : Regarding the recent recording PANIC's)

Re: FAT Filename Mangling bug. (was: RE : Regarding the recent recording PANIC's)

From: Pascal <downs.bo192_at_gadz.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 02:57:30 +0200

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Björn Stenberg wrote:
> Short names are only ever seen in older operating systems that
> don't support long names. Such old systems don't support USB
> either, so it's not an issue for Rockbox.

You underestimate the wonderfull world of MS :
- on MS Dos, you can have USB (with 'duse' drivers) but not the long
filenames (even with the Win98 Dos).
- on Win NT, you've got the long filenames, but not the USB.

I had to make a linux boot/root disk to get USB _and_ long filenames
on my Win NT PC at work !

Pascal.