Subject: Re: FAT Filename Mangling bug. (was: RE : Regarding the recent recording PANIC's)
From: Michael O'Quinn (michael_at_oquinn.info)
Date: 2003-04-25

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Björn Stenberg wrote:

> Michael O'Quinn wrote:
> > Here is the text from ScanDisk, which tends to support the association
> > theory.
>
> Not really. As I wrote in another post, there are three separate checks
> that a long dir entry must conform to. The short filename is not one of
> them.

That's what I mean by association. The long and short ENTRIES in the
directory appear to be not associated properly, because of one of the 3
things (Position, Numbering, and Checksum) you mentioned in another email.

> > The file or folder's long name ('Celtic.m3u') is either stored incorrectly
> > on your disk or is incorrectly associated with 'CELTICM3.A41'.
>
> This clearly says that scandisk understands that the shortname for
> Celtic.m3u is CELTICM3.A41, but that there is some error in the long
> name. It's very unfortunate that it doesn't say _what_ the error is.

Yep, I agree.

> You wouldn't by any chance have access to a linux box? dosfsck in linux,
> while certainly not perfect, tends to be a bit more detailed in the
> error reports.

I do, but alas they are all without USB. That brings me back to
disassembling the Archos, something for this weekend at the soonest.

At that point, I should be able to provide you a hex dump of the actual
directory entries.

> > This file or folder's last-modified date or time is invalid or is in the
> > future. This may be because your computer's clock is set incorrectly.
> >[..]
> > I think the date issue is another topic, which I choose not to address at
> > this time.
>
> I think they are related. If the date is bad, then it means something
> went wrong when creating/writing this directory entry. A bug, or maybe a
> disk write problem. I strongly suspect this is the problem, not the
> shortname.

I'll buy that.

FWIW, when I look at the file in Windows-98 Explorer, the date is
completely blank. Not wrong, not garbled characters, just blank. Doubt
that helps, but I thought I'd mention it.

Michael