Subject: Re: Sort files after ID3 track number

Re: Sort files after ID3 track number

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:19:28 +0100 (BST)

William Pietri said:
> Sorry I'm a little late responding to this.
>
> On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 07:39, Chris Holt wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 10:20:28 -0400, NoDbt41_at_aol.com wrote:
>> >i agree, i would also like to see a way to organize tracks in a
>> directory by the id3 track number
>>
>> I hope everyone that wants this understands how long it would take to
>> get a directory listing. Each file would have to be read so the
>> track number could be extracted from the ID3. One or the other (v1
>> or v2 can't remember which) is at the END of the file. You got big
>> files, you had better be one patient music lover!
>
> I just got a Recorder 20 last week, and I'm starting to hunger for some
> similar id3-related functionality. In particular, I'd like to be able to
> easily play everything in a particular genre or by a particular artist.
> I also like to queue whole albums at a time.
>
> It would seem that the right way around the slowness of finding tags
> would be for Rockbox to build up its own cache of metadata, allowing the
> interface to be less dependent upon file structure.

If you want to do this, then the answer is to build this kind of stuff
off-line, on a PC, not on-line in Rockbox. Building these kind of
databases is time and resource hungry, so better done on a PC, where you
have mains power, a fast disk and a fast processor.

They are called "playlists", and Rockbox can play them if you have them!

--
Mike Holden