Subject: Re: Microphone Question
From: Add Subtract (AddSubtract_at_webtv.net)
Date: 2003-04-26

Oooh, thank you!

I was trying to avoid buying the Archos brand microhone because I know
the Sony will work better with the majority of my equiptment.

Thank you Jean!

Jean wrote:

If it records OK all is well. Since you are in the
Rockbox world the one-channel output of your mike is no longer a problem
: simply set your recording to mono :

Recording settings -> Channels -> Mono

and your single input channel will be recorded on both channels.

Add Subtract wrote:

Hi Jos,

On the junky little microphone I tried at Radio Shack there was a
battery on the cord with an on/off switch. Is this the preamp? It seemed
to record ok, only on one channel.

When you tried your little Sony mic, what happened? Did the Archos not
record any sound at all?

I told you I was dense LOL!!!!

Add Subtract wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Microphone for my new Archos Jukebox FM Recorder.
<snippage>

I just want a semi decent microphone to record family history and also
be able to use the mic with a cassette recorder also.

Can anyone tell me if this particular Sony microphone will work well
with the Archos?

No, it won't.

If not, does anyone know of another model of microphone similar in size
and style to this Sony?

I have a cute little tiny mic from Sony that's built right onto the mini
plug, but it doesn't work either. The problem isn't the microphones. The
issue is that the recorder's external input is a *line* level input, so
in order to use a microphone with it, you need some sort of preamp. On
the other hand, I get great recordings using the line out from either my
Roland digital piano or my mixer.