Subject: Re: ext2fs
Date: 2003-04-27

imho i`d like to completely agree to what björn said.
there is really no need to access another fs on arjb besides fat32 and
interoperability is the most important fact.
I think most of us have absolutely no problem with archos fs being fat32 -
for an mp3-player this is really quite ok.

nevertheless - only the first primary partition needs to be be fat32.
so, put your additional ext2fs,ufs,ntfs,myfs,geekfs or whatever partition/fs

(for file/data storage) on your archos, access that from your favourite
OS, be happy and just accept that you can`t access that from rockbox.
shure you can implement your own fs-driver, but don`t expect this being
supported/accepted by the rockbox crew in the near future, since there are
really more important things to do and not every idea can be put into

there are 298 open feature requests !

> George Michaelson wrote:
> > I put a UFS partition on the back of my ajr and can write data to it
> about
> > 2x faster than to the FAT32 partition, because NetBSD does a damn sight
> > better at caching/write-through to UFS than to FAT32.
> That is a netbsd issue, not a rockbox issue...
> > I think you may have overstated the code cost, vs the benefits a bit in
> > FAT32s favour. I've probably tended the other way.
> If I'd had the luxury of choosing file system, fat32 would still be my
> choice. Why? One word: interoperability. There is no other suitable file
> system that is supported on so many platforms.
> Your arguments center around powerful computers, not the actual device
> we're discussing. Speed? The archos is an MP3 player, it needs to load a
> megabyte per minute. Block optimization? 99% of all files stored on the
disk are
> several megabytes each. Crash proof? We hardly ever write to the file
> system.
> And any argument about code size is null and void since we will always
> need the fat32 code to read the boot disk. So even a 2 KB driver is 2 KB
> than today.
> --
> Björn

+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more +++