Subject: Re: Sort files after ID3 track number
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2003-04-28

William Pietri wrote:
> But the thing that I was imagining writing to run on the Archos was
> something that was pretty opportunistic. For example, it looks like
> Rockbox gets the ID3 tags whenever it starts playing a new track; as
> long as you have the info in hand, it should be pretty cheap to make
> sure it's in the cache, too.

Ah, right. Good point.

> So until I actually get into the code and do various timings and power draw
> measurements, I'm just doing a lot of hand-waving. :-)

Well hand-waving has its' place too. :-) Also, before you write any code, you should sit down and think hard about how the on-disk database should be structured to be optimal for searching and sorting. We should leverage our essentially unlimited disk space to offset our relative lack of ram and cpu power.