Subject: Re: Question on language strings processing
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (linus_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-04-28

Jean Boullier wrote:
> Regarding language-dependent strings (LANG_something) and the language
> files, is the english.lang file THE reference for all the process, or is
> there any other reference somewhere else in the libs that I would not
> have found ? I have noticed file lang.c after a build but I understand
> that it is generated during the build, no ?

The english lang file is the reference.

> I would like to be able to quickly create a .lng file for testing
> changes when needed without having to run the whole build process (which
> does not give me that .lng file anyway).

Example: to build the francais.lng file:

(in the rockbox-devel directory)

# tools/binlang apps/lang/english.lang apps/lang/francais.lang francais.lng

The newly created francais.lng is now in the current directory.

This example applies to Linux, for Windows you might have to call Perl
explicitly:

C:> perl tools/binlang apps/lang/english.lang apps/lang/francais.lang
francais.lng

/Linus