Subject: Unlocking the full features of the MAS chip (short version)
From: Brent Geery (
Date: 2003-04-28

After taking another look at the MAS datasheet, I've noted several
features that have not yet been implemented as user configurable

Recording issues first.:

Add ability to disable/enable CRC protection.

Add ability to switch between MS and Intensity Stereo encoding modes.

Is timecode insertion enabled or disabled?

BTW, the Bit Reservoir setting (the "independent frames" setting in
the menus) isn't held through a power cycle.

Selecting mic as the audio source, should always enable mono

If you set the mic gain all the way down to 21.1 dB, you get no sound!

I also noted lots of playback features missing/limited so far.:

Increase setting precision of Bass/Treble/Loudness controls to 1/8 dB
(.125 dB) steps for Bass and Treble, and 1/4 dB (.25 dB) for Loudness.

Add both "normal" and "super bass" loudness modes.

Expand balance control to full dB range and 1 db steps.

Add optional mode for volume control calibrated to proper dB -114 to
+2 dB range.

Add the 20ms setting to Automatic Volume Correction control.

And last, but *certainly* not least...

Add full user control of Dynamic Bass controls!

BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info Voted #87 - American Film Institute's Top 100 Funniest American Films