Subject: Re: Make better use of user drive spin-ups
From: Brent Geery (
Date: 2003-04-28

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:22:13 +0200, Linus Nielsen Feltzing
<> wrote:

> Brent Geery wrote:
> > I might have the wrong, but it seems like the current Rockbox firmware
> > does not take full advantage of the times when the user initiates a
> > drive spin-up, for whatever reason (saving settings, directory browse,
> > ect.)
> Sure, that would be possible. But if the MPEG thread would top off the
> buffer for every disk spinup, Rockbox would fell a little less
> responsive to user interaction.

Would it really? I've never noticed that! I guess, making it
configurable would make everyone happy.

> > If playing music, rockbox should take that opportunity to also top-off
> > the MPEG buffer. If not playing music (say, just saving settings or
> > something,) taking the time to buffer the directory tree might be a
> > good idea.
> Buffering the directory tree? The current directory is always loaded in
> RAM. No need to reread it, unless the setting you are changing alters
> the directory view somehow. This is how it works today.

Ok, forget about that part then.

Filling the MPEG buffer during other HD accesses is still probably a
good idea though. If it saves 10% of the spin-ups, it can have a
noticeable effect on the battery life.

BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info Voted #87 - American Film Institute's Top 100 Funniest American Films