Subject: Re: Unlocking the full features of the MAS chip (short version)
From: Chris Holt (amiga2k_at_cox.net)
Date: 2003-04-29

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:09:35 -0700, Brent Geery wrote:
>After taking another look at the MAS datasheet, I've noted several
>features that have not yet been implemented as user configurable
>options.
>
>Recording issues first.:
>
>Add ability to disable/enable CRC protection.

Why is this necessary?

>Add ability to switch between MS and Intensity Stereo encoding modes.

Again, why?

>Is timecode insertion enabled or disabled?

For what?

>Selecting mic as the audio source, should always enable mono recording.

It could be useful to use a mono source in stereo.

>If you set the mic gain all the way down to 21.1 dB, you get no sound!

Then don't do it...

>I also noted lots of playback features missing/limited so far.:
>
>Increase setting precision of Bass/Treble/Loudness controls to 1/8 dB
>(.125 dB) steps for Bass and Treble, and 1/4 dB (.25 dB) for Loudness.

Get better headphones/speakers

>Add both "normal" and "super bass" loudness modes.

Get better headphones/speakers

>Expand balance control to full dB range and 1 db steps.

Why?

>Add optional mode for volume control calibrated to proper dB -114 to +2
>dB range.

What is wrong with the volume as it is now?

>Add the 20ms setting to Automatic Volume Correction control.

What application is there for this?

>And last, but *certainly* not least...
>
>Add full user control of Dynamic Bass controls!

Refer to my "Get better headphones/speakers suggestion above...

Chris