Subject: RE: Unlocking the full features of the MAS chip (long, sorry)
From: Heikki Hannikainen (hessu_at_hes.iki.fi)
Date: 2003-04-29

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, TP Diffenbach wrote:

> > > We reset the volume for every track change anyway.
> >
> > I don't recall whether this is in the new (and very well-done)
> > manual,
> > but resetting the volume at each track makes logical sense.
>
> I'm sure restting the volume does make logical sense, but I don't
> undestand why it does. What does it do, and what would happen if it were
> not reset?

  Because Auto Volume adjusts the volume so that all tracks would be
played (very roughly) at the same volume, and different tracks tend to be
at different volume levels, we speed up the adaptation by disabling and
re-enabling AV at track change. It just works much better this way,
especially when long decay times are used (the AV reset was added quite
some time after AV was added). If you want to try, you can disable this
functionality in firmware/mpeg.c in the function track_change().

  - Hessu