Subject: Re: Unlocking the full features of the MAS chip (long, sorry)
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (linus_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-04-30

Brent Geery wrote:
> Some (older only?) hardware players have had problems playing MP3s
> with CRCs. Many players (soft and hard) just ignore CRC anyway.

All I have heard is that some encoders generate MP3 files with CRC
enabled, but with the CRC set to 0. That is of course bound to fail. I
think CRC is a good thing.

> Strange! Is there any reason then for allowing the setting?

Maybe not. I'll change that when I find the time.

> The traditional way of dealing with that situation, is having two
> speed steps. Hold the button down, and it steps in (the current) 1dB
> increments. Click the button, and it steps in the finer resolution.
> Everyone happy. This applies to any control with a wide settings
> range.

This means that users who don't want the fine control are forced to use
the key repeat. I don't like it.

> My Kenwood receiver, for example, has balance calibrated to dB. It is
> uncommon on consumer potables, but not home gear or pro stuff.
>
> Regardless the scale used, a more precise settings would be helpful.
> My left ear has some damage, so I really do use the balance control to
> compensate. In the current config, I would need a setting somewhere
> about 1/3 between 10% and 20% to get the stereo image correctly
> centered.

So changing to 1% steps would solve at least part of your problem?

> I thought 20ms might have some use when playing back speech based
> tracks.

I'm not sure about that. The speech would probably sound weird. But
sure, we can add it.

Linus