Subject: Re: eager beginner, not many skills
From: Mike Holden (rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net)
Date: 2003-05-01

> thanks for your reply, linus. sorry about the iriver
> comment :)
> quick follow-up questions:

I would recommend that you read the docs on the rockbox site, including
the FAQ, as that will answer most of your questions, but since you asked
nicely ...

> a) version 2.0 has recording from fm too, or just from
> external sources?

the FM radio doesn't yet work under Rockbox yet. You would need to run the
original Archos firmware to use that.

> b) i loaded rockbox on the jukebox before even
> glancing at the archos installation cd. is it too late
> now to install archos firmware in order to have the
> rolo option if for some reason i decide to try to
> figure it out? (is archos firmware even what is on
> that cd, or is the firmware already on the jukebox?).
> if i can still load it on there, WHERE do i unzip/load
> it? (in layperson's terms would be much appreciated :)

The archos firmware is in the unit's permanent memory, but if you have a
file on your hard drive called ajbrec.ajz, the firmware will find it and
boot to that instead. This is how Archos install firmware upgrades, and is
how Rockbox loads itself at boot time.

Download the archos firmware from the archos web site, and save it to your
unit as archos.ajz. You can then ROLO to that the same way as any other
firmware you have on there. It will boot to ajbrec.ajz by default when you
power up, which would be Rockbox. After RoLo-ing to the archos firmware,
you would need to reboot the unit to return to Rockbox, as the archos
firmware doesn't have anything cool like RoLo!

> and sorry for yet one more dumb question, but when you
> say i can just reboot my jukebox to revert back to
> rockbox after using rolo to switch to archos, you mean
> simply turning off the jbox and then turning it on
> again? it'll automatically start up using rockbox?
> thanks so much - as you can tell, i'm a total neophyte
> when it comes to these things

See my comment above.

--
Mike Holden