Subject: Re: Brute force bug hunt
From: Michael O'Quinn (michael_at_oquinn.info)
Date: 2003-05-01

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Jack Peel wrote:

> Well I started at the r0210.ajz and had problems. It played fine for a
> while and then stopped (red light went out, but no sound). (this was
> bouncing around on my car's seat)

FWIW, this almost sounds like the Silent Play bug, not Red LED Dead. The
difference is that with Red LED Dead the unit essentially locks up with
the (can you see this one coming?) red LED on solid. With Silent Play
everything LOOKS normal, the seconds keep counting up, but no (or VERY
little) sound is heard. It just keeps merrily playing away, but silently.
After a minute or two, the sound finally returns and everything goes on
normally.

Also (and I may be mistaken on this) it seems to me that the Silent Play
bug is usually encountered when using FF/RW to move about in a song, while
Red LED Dead is usually associated with physical shock or vibration of the
unit.

So THAT makes it look like Red LED Dead.

Hhhmmmmm....

Michael