Subject: Re: eager beginner, not many skills
Date: 2003-05-01

Thanks guys, your input has been really helpful - I
listened to some of my 1000+ tunes last night - quite
a thrill!

But I'm still struggling over this archos.ajz thing. I
went to the archos website and the only thing I see
that they have that applies to fm recorders is a
download for drivers for all their products. So I
download those, extract them to my jukebox hard drive,
and...where is the ajz file?? I don't see one
anywhere. Do I just rename the folder as archos.ajz
and somehow rockbox knows to find the archos firmware
in there?

Or...Should I just stick with the archos firmware that
is apparently already on the ROM of the thing since I
prob won't be using it that much anyway. How's the
daily build today for fm recording? Maybe I should
just download that and use it...

I have read the FAQs about rolo-ing and think I
understand how to do that once I have both versions on
there; I'm just embarrasingly stuck at this beginner's
hurdle of simply FINDING the archos firmware so i can
rename it as archos.ajz

thanks again - sorry to interrupt the advanced
programming discussion :)

Quoting Mike Holden <>:

> > thanks for your reply, linus. sorry about the
> > comment :)
> > quick follow-up questions:
> >
> I would recommend that you read the docs on the
rockbox site, including
> the FAQ, as that will answer most of your questions,
but since you asked
> nicely ...
> > a) version 2.0 has recording from fm too, or just
> > external sources?
> the FM radio doesn't yet work under Rockbox yet. You
would need to run the
> original Archos firmware to use that.
> >
> > b) i loaded rockbox on the jukebox before even
> > glancing at the archos installation cd. is it too
> > now to install archos firmware in order to have the
> > rolo option if for some reason i decide to try to
> > figure it out? (is archos firmware even what is on
> > that cd, or is the firmware already on the
> > if i can still load it on there, WHERE do i
> > it? (in layperson's terms would be much
appreciated :)
> The archos firmware is in the unit's permanent
memory, but if you have a
> file on your hard drive called ajbrec.ajz, the
firmware will find it and
> boot to that instead. This is how Archos install
firmware upgrades, and is
> how Rockbox loads itself at boot time.
> Download the archos firmware from the archos web
site, and save it to your
> unit as archos.ajz. You can then ROLO to that the
same way as any other
> firmware you have on there. It will boot to
ajbrec.ajz by default when you
> power up, which would be Rockbox. After RoLo-ing to
the archos firmware,
> you would need to reboot the unit to return to
Rockbox, as the archos