Subject: Re: Single play mode and feature bloat
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2003-05-01

ajf wrote:
> I see at least four different Rockbox audiences and I'm a member of three
> of them. Each has different needs re playlists, bookmarks, cueing, level
> setting, etc etc.
> A Jukebox music player
> An audiobook player
> A DJ/party music and sound effects mixer
> A field recorder
> Can one 200K piece of software do all these things? Should it?

I think we'll have enough room for it, especially if move some things to loadable plugins.

The more tricky thing, however, is the user interface. It's difficuly designing with a user interface that is optimal for all of these four user categories.

> >>To summarise, for DJ-like operations we need three new settings :
> >>1. "Play single mode", or "Pause after track" : "Yes", "No"
> >>2. "Skip silence" : "No", "Leading", "Trailing", "Both"
> >>3. "Silence threshold" : "-xxx dB"

Number 1 is pretty simple (and not much code), but number 2 & 3 is rather difficult to implement with acceptable accuracy. It also would require lots of code and processor power.