Subject: Re: last question, i think - Re: eager beginner, not many skills
From: Chris Holt (
Date: 2003-05-02

On Fri, 2 May 2003 03:53:47 -0400 (EDT), wrote:
>the root directory that everyone is talking about...does it have to have
>a certain .extension (like .app, .mp3, .ajz, etc.), or is it just the
>first folder within my e drive? (e is the drive letter of my jukebox)
>will the jukebox automatically look for ajbrec.ajz (rockbox) no matter
>where it is? i guess what i'm really asking is: how do i ensure
>ajbrec.ajz is in the "root-directory?" What exactly is the root

Root IS the drive. If you dragged something over to the drive and
dropped it, it would end up in the root directory. If you had no
directories (folders) on the drive at all, the window you are looking at
would be the root directory. If you are using windows drag and drop and
you drag a file to the space between the folders in the drive window,
then you are copying it to the root directory. If you use DOS commands
and "copy abc.mp3 E:" then you copy it to the root directory.

If none of these descriptions sheds any light on "root directory", then I
humbly apologize and will crawl back into my hole. :)