Subject: Re: New Menu Design
From: c s (
Date: 2003-05-03

--- Stevie-O <> wrote:
> TP Diffenbach wrote:
> > Could you describe it a bit?
> >
> It makes it possible to view the current value of a
> setting from within the menu
> itself (as opposed to hitting LEFT to get to edit
> mode, then RIGHT again to
> leave it)

> >>I threw together an experimental menu design.
> >>
> >>I'm omitting a diff for several reasons:
> >> (1) It violates several of the coding conventions
> set forth by the original
> >>
> >>programmers (mostly the 'no lines more than 80
> columns long' convention).
> >> (2) It touches about 40 files.

Really??? It seems that the functionality that you
have described should all fit nicely in settings.c and
the 8 *_menu.c files. What are you doing that requires
touching files other than those?

> >>For the Player:
> >> I didn't build a Player version. Its
> >> usefulness is greatly diminished for
> >> the Player anyway.

You need to provide a player version anyway. Any
drastic menu logic change has to fly on all three
platforms or it will stick us with the nightmare of
having to maintain two different sets of menu and
settings ifdef'd code segments. The current one set of
functions is already very cumbersome when it comes to
adding a new setting. If you plan to propose adding
something that more than doubles the number of code
segments that have to be changed in order to add a new
setting, that would be VERY undesirable.

Do you Yahoo!?