Subject: Re: Memory/Settings Creation Question
From: Brent Geery (fasttimes_at_mochamail.com)
Date: 2003-05-04

On Sun, 04 May 2003 00:50:05 +0200, Linus Nielsen Feltzing
<linus_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> Mike Holden wrote:
> > Do the principles stated here still stand? It looks like currently the
> > first 2 bits of 0xAE are used, so I can take up to 6 bits from bit 3
> > upwards to bit 8, and then any bytes from 0xAD downwards all the way to
> > 0x00?
>
> Not all the way to 0x00. 0x00-0x2b are used for mirroring the RTC
> information.
>
> > I'm looking to store the last used radio frequency, so need to store a
> > value in the range 8000 to 11000, which can scale to 0-3000, and currently
> > in increments of 5 (frequency increases by 0.05 Mhz), so could be scaled
> > to 0-600, so long as we are settled on these, but these could still be up
> > in the air, pending discussions on here. I can start off taking 2 bytes,
> > giving plenty of range, and scale these later to use less space in the
> > config block.
>
> I suggest you use 0.01MHz resolution. The possible frequency range is
> 10MHz-160MHz, giving a range of 1000-16000. Take 2 bytes.

What is the point of having 100Hz accuracy, when stations in the US
have a frequency allocation of 200kHz, and I think 150(?) in Europe
and elsewhere.

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info http://www.FastTimesAtRidgemontHigh.org Voted #87 - American Film Institute's Top 100 Funniest American Films