Subject: Re: FM presets
From: TP Diffenbach (
Date: 2003-05-05

Quoting Linus Nielsen Feltzing <>:

> TP Diffenbach wrote:
> > What about "fm-preset.default.fmr"?
> >
> Taken. I changed it to "fm-preset-default.fmr".
> > On a related matter, knowing how so many persons have so many ideas
> > for various different interfaces, might it make sense, Linus, for you
> > to provide a set of FM API functions primitives, which anyone might
> > construct an FM interface in terms of?
> No, I haven't thought about that. Why would people need several interfaces?
> Let's do that when the need arises.

It's just the general software rule, seperate interface and implementation, abstract operations in a relatively unchamging interface.

It's already clear, different people want different minimum frequency increments in their interfaces, and it's a given of open source software that everybody and his brother will have a different idea for the "ideal" (for them) interface.

If you provide a consistent, well documented API, we'll have less code duplication, and greater ease to swap or mix interfaces.

You'll be providing an excellence service if you provide a bullrt-proof implementation layer. Then demostrate use of that API with your default interface, implemented in terms of your API.

Archos FM has a Rockbox!