Subject: Re: VM question for developers
From: TP Diffenbach (rockbox_at_diffenbach.org)
Date: 2003-05-08

Quoting Ben Allfree <benles_at_bldigital.com>:

> Hi Developers,
>

> The Jukebox firmware team is presently discussing the technical feasibility
> of implementing a virtual machine like Java or Python. Assuming that
> portable C code is available, and that the firmware can be developed, what
> trouble do you think we would encounter?

Memory: for the VM plus the libraries plus the interpreted code.
Speed: java, at least (can't speak about Python) is slow -- a good part of the reason is that it allocates memory for everything except primitives.

Question: what sort of java/python apps would you expect people to want to run on the Rockbox?--
Archos FM has a Rockbox!