Subject: Re: Archos Recorder Suggestions
From: Jean Boullier (jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr)
Date: 2003-05-08

Jim Morgan wrote:

> I defragged my Jukebox recently, so I know what you mean about the
> power drain. In addition it got _very_ hot. No harm done though, and
> it all seems to be working fine.

As soon as something uses electricity it also produces heat, one way or
another, more or less, unfortunately. And that tends to be
proportional... 8-)

> I still think it would be nice if the Jukebox charged itself from the
> USB port while it was switched off. That would mean that I didn't have
> to carry a charger around with me, as everywhere you go there are
> computers with USB ports.

As you have probably noticed already by now, there is nothing stupid in
this machine, I mean nothing passive. Even battery charging needs the OS
to stand up. Therefore nothing can take place while it is switched off.
That's why it switches on as soon as some voltage is detected on its "DC
In" plug or as soon as you plug an USB plug in it (this one is a
physical switch). Also, I think I have read that USB ports on computers
do not deliver much power, usually... I know there is a new market of
selling more or less useless electrical gadgets (not computer related)
which are to be plugged in computers USB ports (only to get their power
in), but I woud not be surprised that this causes more disappointment
than real fun for their customers. There are already enough
opportunities for problems with what is actually supposed to be used
inside or connected to a computer IMO... 8-)

Cheers. Jean.