Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Rockbox "talkbox"
From: ajf (ajf_at_midmaine.com)
Date: 2003-05-08

Mark Greenslade writes:

>> I do volunteer work at a reading service for the visually impaired.
>
> Interesting - I suppose these audiobooks are available only to blind people
> in the US?

In the US, reading services like the one I work for are exempt from the
copyright laws, as long as they make reasonable efforts to restrict the
distribution of their program content to those with visual impairments,
including those who can see, but can't read, BTW.

We broadcast readings of the daily newspapers, and serialized books at
night, on the Secondary Audio Program channel of the public TV station. You
need either a stereo TV, or a special FM receiver to get our program.

There are other reading services similar to ours, and some that record
textbooks (and other materials) as requested by eligible students.
Traditionally, they are distributed via cassette tape recordings using a
format that requires a special player, more recently audio CD.

With the availability of players like the Archos, distribution of these
programs via mp3 has become feasible, but the issue of restricting the
distribution remains.