Subject: Re: VM question for developers
From: Johan Vromans (jvromans_at_squirrel.nl)
Date: 2003-05-09

"L. Scott Emmons" <rboxrox_at_egads.dhs.org> writes:

> Sorry, but as a Java developer, I dispute the myth that Java is
> inherently slow. Yes, AWT and Swing are slow, but that truly has
> nothing to do with the VM itself.

I beg to differ. If the target (end-user) apps run slow, the system is
slow. Period. Whether it is the GUI, the VM, the operating system, or
the CPU is highly academical.

> [...] Java, while being free and having available source, [...]

a. Sun Java is not free (as in beer maybe, but not as in speech).
b. You can get the source if you want (and sign a lot of papers) but
   that will make it impossible _ever_ to work on clean-room Java VM
   like software.

For several reasons, alternatives like parrot (www.parrotcode.org) or
kaffe (www.kaffe.org), may be much better choices for this purpose.

-- Johan