Subject: Quiet spinup?
From: William Pietri (william_at_pota.to)
Date: 2003-05-09

I suspect this is a completely hare-brained idea, but I'll throw it out
on the off chance it's not.

Has anybody experimented with making the spinup quieter? I tried out the
Rockbox's sleep feature with a small pair of speakers by my bed, but the
spinup noise is awfully noticeable in a quiet room. If power were
applied more gradually, would the spinup be less distracting?

Of course, we can't really apply power gradually, but if power were
applied like this

over a few seconds it might be more conducive to slumber. It would of
course use more battery, but it would be no worse than the anti-skip
buffer.

It probably won't work, but I won't have time to try it out myself for a
few months, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

William

--
brains for sale: http://scissor.com/