Subject: Archos firmware sound vs Rockbox
From: markspooner_at_ntlworld.com
Date: 2003-05-15

I posted comments about this on funmp3players forum, but at the request of linus have moved it here.

Basically I have found that the quality of the sound (not the volume) is greater with the archos firware.

Basically I found the archos firmware to have a:#
slightly fuller sound
A more laid back and less fatiguing presentation
Slightly bigger soundstage
Bass and percussion with more snap, control and simple grunt
Strings sound sweeter
Generally greater level of detail.

This is of course completely subjective and only my views. And as it takes time to switch between firmware a true a/bing was more difficult and likely to be incorrect.

A further point when listening to the rockbox firmware there is still white noise that can be heard though it is much reduced from that of the archos firmware. Strangley the archos noise goes away whent he disk is spinning where as the rockbox does not.

The settings:
Rockbox
Volume 88
Bass 0db