Subject: RE: Archos firmware sound vs Rockbox
From: Andreas Stemmer (
Date: 2003-05-15

> this may depend on the equipment you use (type of earphones
> or resistance of the line in of the amplifier).

The sound depends on the equipment, but the same ic with the same
earphones should sound identically with identical settings. The problem
is, that we don't know exactly what the settings of the archos firmware

> auditible distortion starts at a lower volume with rockbox
> than with archos firmware.

Perhaps the archos firmware does some distortion protection if there are
too strong bass and loudness settings. If you use the same volume
setting on both firmwares, does rockbox sound louder?

> Probably the larger headphone draws more power and the archos
> firmware is better able to deal with this?

I don't think so, because the hardware itself is the same.

Perhaps a "scientific" sound test could help: recording the output of
both firmwares to do a real a/b compare and some frequency analysis

Andreas Stemmer