Subject: Rockbox Sound
From: Andre Roessel (
Date: 2003-05-18

I compared the ARCHOS against the daily build against the SOUNDCHECK today
(with real excellent Sennheiser HD600 Headphones).
At first I must say, ARCHOS at maximum is by far not as loud as Rockbox maxed out.
So it is only natural, that there are distortions at Rockbox when playing it at a level
ARCHOS is not even capable of.
My first impressions with direct comparisation of ARCHOS and Rockbox are some
months old. After my recent tries I must say, that Rockbox is capable of sounding
better and fuller than ARCHOS. For me, the issue isnīt an issue anymore.
I can confirm, that "92" is a kind of magic volume setting. To experience any distortions
you have to go above that level.
I couldnīt really find much difference with the Soundcheck firmware. May be the
"punching", not so deep bass was a little reduced. I found this "punching" bass to
produce a great part of the overall distortion when there is one because of high volume