Subject: Re: Rockbox Intellectual Property question
From: lee donaghy (
Date: 2003-05-20

 --- ds2list <> wrote: >

rockbox is part of the GPL licence so companies can't
include rockbox or any of your code without
distibuting their sourcecode freely, which i guess
would stop them using your code.

> With all the Intellectual Property controversies
> going on in the
> open-source world right now (SCO vs. Linux/IBM,
> etc.), I was
> wondering if there is any way to protect innovative
> features of
> open source projects like Rockbox from idea stealing
> by companies.
> Specifically, I was thinking about my Talkbox patch.
> I've not seen
> that feature on any other personal mp3 players, and
> I'd like it to
> stay something that is owned by the Open Source
> community. Is there
> any way to ensure this. Is there a way of
> demonstrating "prior art"
> with project like Rockbox, so that a company like
> Apple/Creative
> would think twice before copying a new Rockbox
> feature to an I-Pod
> or Nomad? Or is the philosophy of the project to
> allow this
> kind of "borrowing"? Are unique features of an
> open-source project
> "patentable" by the project?
> -Danan

Lee donaghy
great yarmouth

It's Samaritans' Week. Help Samaritans help others.
Call 08709 000032 to give or donate online now at